New No3 headsail.

Sigma 33 Association News
DominicWhite

New No3 headsail.

Post by DominicWhite » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:05 am

The Class has now acquired three of the new No3s for members to try out before deciding whether or not to purchase. Just to remind you this battened, more bladed headsail has been developed to fill the gap between the No2 and working jib. For those who regularly sail IRC or who find themselves shorthanded or with a light crew this should be a valuable addition to the wardrobe. It should also extend the life of the No 2 particularly, which most of us tend to carry well beyond its intended wind range.

Elvstrom has taken a little longer than expected to produce the finished article and unfortunately this has pushed our anticipated introduction of the sail back somewhat. The revised intention is to now allow the sail to be used during the 2011 season for all IRC events that do not form part of a region’s official Sigma 33 OOD programme. For the 2012 season (subject to vote) its use will then be permitted in all events. Unlike the existing sail wardrobe, it will be an optional sail (i.e.does not have to be carried) until such time as the Association’s main committee is satisfied that its use is sufficiently widespread to recommend to the membership that we should make it a compulsory part of the sail wardrobe, (again this will of course be subject to favourable vote from members). This extra sail does not affect our rating.

One sail has gone to Ireland, one to Scotland and we have one being held by Elvstrom at Hamble.

Contact you local Class Captain if you would like to take the sail for a test drive (or race) and please, most importantly, let us have any feedback on how the sail performs.

Jeff Worboys

Class Chairman

Note, See thread
See passed comments

jonty godfrey

Re: New No3 headsail.

Post by jonty godfrey » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:23 pm

I have been trying to source a similar shaped sail to try a blade layout with full height slot for a bit for "Archatron " ( K 4578 )

I have a sail which is a bit too long on the luff which I intend to cut down just for trial purposes and would much appreciate details of the dimensions of the proposed no.3. ( luff,leech,foot, LP ). Will it require a pennant at the foot to give adequate height of clew to suit the genoa car positions ?
I know that there are 3 trial sails out there but as we are based in Abersoch ( north wales ) we are not really handy for any of them.

Regards

Jonty Godfrey

jeffw

Re: New No3 headsail.

Post by jeffw » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:09 pm

Jonty

The vital statistics of the new No3 are: Luff 10.30m, Leech 9.38m, Foot 3.93m

Could I suggest you call Nick Cherry at Elvstrom for any further info you need:
Elvstrom Sails UK
HYS, Port Hamble Marina, Hamble SO31 4NN
Tel: +44 (0)2380 450 430
Mob: +44 (0)7540 886 944