Cowes 2014

Donald McLaren

Cowes 2014

Post by Donald McLaren » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:58 pm

There is a need to open a forum topic to help folk compare notes on Cowes Week and RTI 2014. Here you go ...

toby gorman

Re: Cowes 2014

Post by toby gorman » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:01 pm

Many thanks Donald

We would be pleased to see as many boats as possible at Cowes Week this year even for part of the week or weekend.
If any members are deliberating and are finding issues to they need overcome please advise if I can help find a solution?

Best regards
Toby Gorman
Stan the Boat 4610

Kggkgg

Berthing for Cowes Week

Post by Kggkgg » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 pm

Hi ,
I am planning to enter Sibilation (home berth at RAFYC) into the Cowes week.

What are others intending to do about berthing in Cowes ? i may be swayed if i know where the other Sigmas will be berthed.

thanks
Keith

Kggkgg

Post by Kggkgg » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:32 pm

Great to hear there's some interest. Sibilation will be there ( and doing RTI)

Do you take some accommodation ashore or do you have midget crews?

Being 6 foot 4 I was thinking of B and B for the seniors like me and boat camping for the foredeck crew. Am I wimping out?

Keith.

toby gorman

Post by toby gorman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:52 am

Hi Keith
There are many options here and these questions are raised each year. if you refer to the Cowes Week thread in 2013 you can see questions and helpful advice regards mooring, showers, water taxi's, transferring crew etc.

Our plans are as follows;
Mooring; We have class association moorings on the whitegates pontoon which Jo has kindly arranged cost circa £231 - please contact Jo to request a berth soonest. It's a mid-river pontoon on the East Cowes side. There is info about berthing etc. on the Cowes Week website http://www.aamcowesweek.co.uk/. if you prefer other options.
We shall be mooring here not just due to the cost implication (shepard's circa £600, Yacht Haven circa £1,000) but because we think it will be more social to be mooring with class members.

Accomodation; we rent a house and are joined by our families split 7 ways it generally works out about £250 each - so not that bad for a weeks holiday. This might be difficult for some so a few staying on the boat could be an option - just try and remove bags and clutter before sailing as its chaotic enough down below.

Hope this has been helpful
please advise if you need any further info?

Regards
Toby
Stan the Boat GBR4610

Kggkgg

Post by Kggkgg » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:41 pm

very useful thanks Toby, will do as you suggest.

regards
Keith

Sibilation K4526

Kggkgg

Re: Cowes 2014 - we need more entriees

Post by Kggkgg » Mon May 05, 2014 7:54 pm

I have just entered Sibilation but there are only three of us so far :( - we need more for a class start!

Kuba

Post by Kuba » Tue May 06, 2014 8:42 pm

Guys

Sorry but Polished Manx will be messing around Irish Sea this year.
Brgds
Kuba

Polished Manx - IOM 8666

toby gorman

Post by toby gorman » Tue May 13, 2014 9:05 am

Kuba, sorry we won't be seeing you at Cowes this year - is there any way we can talk you round?

Keith, confident we will have good numbers at Cowes Week this year with great racing accross the fleet. People typically don't start thinking about entry until end of May. i will send a reminder as date for standard entry closes 27th May.

As an aside we have 10 boats already for RTI race (which is 1 up on last year) with a number of boats still to enter -will send a prompt on this also

best regards
Toby Gorman
Stan The Boat

Kggkgg

headlining

Post by Kggkgg » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:23 pm

Hi all,

I am looking forward to my very first Cowes Week on Sibilation.

Sibilation is IRC'd and i believe compliant with OD class rules with one minor issue which I need to find a solution.

Her coach roof is leaking buckets and I am trying to track down and deal with the leaks throughout the summer so currently have the headlining removed. I know it should be in place for OD compliance but will this be an issue on boat inspection?

I can think of 2 solutions:
1. put the old lining in a plastic bag and hang from the roof to ensure I dont get any weight distribution advantage (my preferred option)
2. loosely staple the old lining back in place temporarily which will look horrid but if I must I must.

any advice would be appreciated as I dont want to get there and not be able to compete!

thanks
Keith