Solent Cruise & Rally, May 28th-30th

David Crawforth

Solent Cruise & Rally, May 28th-30th

Post by David Crawforth » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:41 am

This is a new event in the South Coast calendar and will be run over the Whitsun Bank Holiday (Saturday May 28th to Monday 30th). The itenerary is in the third post in this thread and boats will be able to join for one, two, or all three days.

The event has been included to expand the organised activities of the class to include a cruising event. Although there are hundreds of Sigmas on the South Coast, and a minority race in class events, so it is hoped that we will see some new faces at this event. If it proves popular, it will be retained in the calender next year.

The aim of the event is for owners and crew to get together on the water and ashore, to enjoy the traditional Sigma conviviality and fun that has, until now, only been offered by the class at racing events.

I am organising the event. I'm planning on 10 Sigmas / about 45-50 crew. If you are interested, please reply to this post or P.M. me, as there may be a shortage of space if we get more than this. If you would be interested in future years but cannot make it this year, please also let me know.

David Crawforth
Sigress

rjpuddifoot

Re: Solent Cruise & Rally

Post by rjpuddifoot » Tue May 10, 2011 7:29 am

Whippa Snappa will be there.

David Crawforth

Re: Solent Cruise & Rally

Post by David Crawforth » Wed May 11, 2011 11:01 pm

Itinerary:

Saturday 28th May
Sigmas arrive Lymington, early evening pontoon party and dinner in local pub / restaurant (Mayflower)

Sunday 29th May
Cruise in company to Port Hamble Marina
Dinner in RAFYC (BBQ if sufficient numbers & fine weather)

Monday 30th May
TBD during the rally

Full details are in the invitation / itinerary / booking form, which you can obtain by e-mailing / p.m.-ing me.
Please book as early as you can, even with rough numbers / days, as this can be ammended later. Space is limited.

Yachts can join for one / two / three days.

David Crawforth

Re: Solent Cruise & Rally, May 28th-30th

Post by David Crawforth » Tue May 17, 2011 11:53 am

The previous post has been edited with the final itinerary. The invitation / itinerary / booking form is now available. Please e-mail / p.m. me.

Happy Cruising!

David Crawforth

boozeroo

Post by boozeroo » Sat May 21, 2011 8:07 pm

This looks like a great event. We do no racing in our 33 Boozeroo but it would be good to meet up with other owners. We are based in the Solent but currently sitting in Milford Haven waiting for a gale to pass so we can get across to Ireland. We will be spending the summer there so unfortunately wont be able to make the Solent Cruise this year.

Hope the event is a success.

Best regards

Tony and Amina Cleal

David Crawforth

Post by David Crawforth » Mon May 23, 2011 7:55 pm

We have 7 Sigmas booked on the rally so far. There are more places available at present.

The weather is looking windy on the Friday then calm and Sunny for the weekend!

Boozeroo, we will look forward to seeing you on next year's rally!

David Crawforth

Post by David Crawforth » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:45 am

Well, three boats made it to Lymington - at least all three crews could crowd into one Sigma for the 'pontoon' party in the rain. Four boats had difficulty rounding Calshot Spit in the windy westerlies - one diverted to Cowes, three returned to Hamble (Two sailing short handed and one on the margin of a mutiny by a 3 year old... welcome to familly sailing!). By sea or road, the crews of 6 Sigmas made it to the Mayflower restaurant for a 22 person dinner, which was well enjoyed.

On Sunday, plans were altered in view of the continuing windy conditions and two of the three boats in Lymington went to Bembridge and were joined by another third Sigma that had missed the exhilarating beat of the previous day.

There were a mix of racing / cruising / and cruier-racing Sigma crews, and it was nice to meet up with owners and crew who we had not met before. It looks like the numbers will be larger for another event next year; we can just hope and pray for more seasonal weather!