Warsash Spring Series

Andy Johns

Warsash Spring Series

Post by Andy Johns » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:21 am

Dates are on the events section - details will be posted at http://www.warsashspringseries.org.uk/

David Crawforth

Re: Warsash Spring Series

Post by David Crawforth » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:31 am

Starts in 3 weeks!

We seem to be lumped in to IRC2 at the moment, I guess they will split us up once they have had more entries.

http://www.warsashspringseries.org.uk/index.htm

3 Sigma 33 entries so far. Any sign of Chaser, Excelle, others?

David Crawforth

Post by David Crawforth » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:53 am

Looks like we won't see Excelle, as I saw her for sale. Looked very reasonable at £26,450, with just a bit of anti-corrosion work to do on the keel. I won't say where I saw her, as she is not on the class brokerage ;) . If anyone is interested, contact our class secretary, Jo, and I can reveal the location!

We are looking forward to tomorrow!

David Crawforth

Post by David Crawforth » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:29 am

Report from the Warsash website:

IRC4 benefited from a start line off Hill Head harbour and the CRO Phillip Gage got them away on time. The fleet immediately tacked onto port, making for the shore to avoid the strong east-going tide. Last week’s winner Menace III (Derek Morland/Tim Rees) slowly edged their way ahead, to round the laid windward mark with a small lead which they extended on the run. On the second beat, both Allan Fraser’s Sigma 33 Prospero of Hamble and Simba (X-95 - Paul Marshall) stayed out in the tide awaiting the forecast wind shift. This certainly paid off. They were the first to find the new wind, whilst other boats lay becalmed inshore. Menace III clawed her way back to third place and then overhauled Simba. Prospero then made the classic error of misjudging the layline to the next mark by which time they had slipped to mid-fleet leaving Menace III to record their second consecutive win.

Note: Prospero didn't actually misjudge the layline, their excellent tactical call waiting for the wind shift was unfortunately neutralised by mistaking the mark of the course prior to the finish. Being so far in the lead at that stage, they didn't realise this until the second boat rounded the correct mark, a minute or two behind them.