South Coast Cruise & Rally. 2 - 5 Jun 2012

David Crawforth

South Coast Cruise & Rally. 2 - 5 Jun 2012

Post by David Crawforth » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:54 pm

There will be a rally over the long Jubilee Weekend in the vicinity of the Solent.

I have booked berths in Yarmouth for Sat 2nd and Sun 3rd June.

This will allow Saturday for doing something in Yarmouth, some job or other aboard, lazing in the sun, or possibly a racing-related activity for those interested.

I will book a meal somewhere on Saturday or Sunday; this could end up being both nights!

On Monday (and poss Tuesday) (Jubilee bank holiday weekend), I will lead on elsewhere depending on weather and group preference, somewhere in any direction, an easy day sail away (each way). For us, the remainder of the week is half-term, so if the weather remains kind, we'll keep going!

Please reply via a post or P.M. to book a berth or if you are potentially interested.

David Crawforth

Re: South Coast Cruise & Rally. 2 - 5 Jun 2012

Post by David Crawforth » Wed May 30, 2012 10:59 am

We have 5 yachts attending so far.

Dinner has been booked in the Bugle pub at 7p.m. on the Saturday night; other arrangements will be more ad-hoc.
A dinghy cruise up the river Yar has been suggested (not entirely sure that tides affect / are right for this one), so bring a dinghy if you can.

If anyone else is interested, please P.M. or e-mail me before Thurs midday, when I will be submitting the list of yachts attending to Yarmouth harbourmaster. Others wanting to come along after then may well be able to, but a place cannot be guaranteed.

We have been granted a reduction in the price of the mooring fee, but I will be asking for a £5 contribution per boat for the deposit I had to pay.

David Crawforth

Re: South Coast Cruise & Rally. 2 - 5 Jun 2012

Post by David Crawforth » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:21 pm

Five yachts met up in Yarmouth on Saturday 2nd June. With the flood tide, Sigress almost: a) arrived late, and b) managed to take out most of the other Sigmas and several other yachts in the harbour on mooring up! I blame it on the harbour master's launch 'helping' by counteracting my prop kick when I was trying to turn against the tide! Anyway, damage was avoided and we got our 'Sigma 33' and brand new 'dressing overall' flags up in time for our pontoon party. With 12 adults and 4 children present, we held this on deck on Sigress and Lucent, which were rafted next to each other.

Next we went on the the Bugle pub for dinner, where we were all seated on a long table. We later found we were following a great tradition as this was where the town's main celebratory dinner was held for Queen Victoria's diamond Jubilee.

The weather was distinctly better that last year's rally to Lymington, but we were still unlucky for the time of year. Most yachts braved the Sunday's windy weather to return that day, whilst we had a balmy sail / drift back to our mooring on the Hamble on Monday evening. The crew of Workout did well for making the trip for a short but well appreciated appearence, and Muskoka must win an award for best seamanship; sailing there and back double-handed, and displaying mast climbing skills in the marina!

It was a great opportunity to make new acqaintances and chat to old friends, compare notes on how our fellow competitors' boats were set up, and generally enjoy the Jubilee celebrations in Yarmouth harbour. Next year we already have the Whitsun bank holiday pencilled in for the official South Coast rally, or contact me if interested in another in the meantime.