West Highland Yachting Week 2012

Aubrey

West Highland Week

Post by Aubrey » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:19 pm

I' m delighted to note that there are 8 Sigma 33 taking part in the West Highland fleet making up 10% of the entries so far. They are:
Pippa IV
Elandra
Amber Haze
Razzmatazz
Leaky Roof II
Polished Manx (does Kuba work at all?)
Mayrise
And last but certainly not least. Sigmatic!

Elandra and Pippa IV will be sailing from Dun Laoghaire on the night of the 25th and meeting up with Polished Manx in Glenarm N.I. After a night of beer and chinese (We think, or at least hope there is a take away in the village) we will be convoying (dare I say racing?) to Gigha for the feeder race to Croabh. Can we invite any other Sigmas to join us on the way? All the Best Aubrey

http://www.whyw.co.uk/
Aubrey Leggett
"Elandra"

DominicWhite

West Highland Yachting Week 2012

Post by DominicWhite » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:32 pm

Keep your eyes peeled for Updates and or

look at this website

http://www.whyw.co.uk

Kuba

Re: West Highland Yachting Week 2012

Post by Kuba » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:05 pm

Unfortunately Polished Manx pulled last minute. Our crew could not make it :( - medical issues prevented them travelling all the way from Poland to take part. I am devastated, but wish all the Sigmas great racing - and very pleased to see that again, another event sees so manu Sigmas
Brgds
Kuba

Polished Manx - IOM 8666

Kuba

Post by Kuba » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:01 am

Sigma 33 Leaky Roof II crew from Cove Sailing club on the Clyde with a couple of the Trophies they won at West Highland Week 2012. They went on to win their class Trophy and the Peter Cocks Memorial Trophy given to the yacht which in the opinion of the Committee has given the best overall performance throughout the Points Series.

Leaky Roof 2 put the best performance in her class winning all races but one , when they came 3rd, but this was duly discarded. Series were won with 5 points - second boat came with 19 points.

Importantly -
Second boat was Firts 32.5 !!!
Third boat - GK 34
Fourth boat - Moody 38
Our Sigmas if raced properly can still outperform much younger designes :D

Other Sigmas in Class 5:
Razzmatazz - 5th overal with 20 points - very good performance too with 4 and 5 positions in 12 strong class
Carmen - 6th with 21 points (very close with next boat)
Amber Haze - 7th with 22 points
Pippa IV - 9th with 45 points
Elandra - 10th with 51points

Class 6 - WHITE SAILS

Here also Sigmas performed very, very well:

SIGMATIC came 2nd with 10 points - equal to the winner SLIPPIN JIN - First 32.5
and MAYRISE came 5th with only 18 points in this 9 strong class

This is absolutely great result, with Leaky Roof 2 being the BEST SIGMA this year - winning SCOTTISH SERIES, 2nd in SIGMA Championship and 1st in West Highland Yachting Week.

Believe that having 8 boats in events like WHYW and winning their respective classes is best testimony for our great boat. Thank you SIGMATIC and LEAKY ROOF :D you are great ambasadors of SIGMA 33
Brgds
Kuba

Polished Manx - IOM 8666

DominicWhite

Post by DominicWhite » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:53 pm

Comment from Donald McLaren

“Leaky Roof 2” and “Sigmatic” came up as the star prize winners at WHW which finished last Friday. Alan Harper on “Leaky Roof 2” won Class 5 and also won the Overall Best Performance trophy (top prize), whilst I raced in White Sail class 6 with my 9 and 7 year old grandchildren on board, and we won the Best Family Performance trophy (second top prize). A great outing for the S33 fleet, and another keen set of results for Alan and me. There were 114 competing boats, and we were treated to basking sharks and minke whales in amongst the racing fleet, coupled with excellent weather.

Full story at www.whyw.co.uk