Class Championship 2015

danlewis

Class Championship 2015

Post by danlewis » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:06 pm

Having had such a great time at the Championship in Abersoch last year the Partisan crew are thinking about a voyaging to the South Coast. I anticipate that Cowes will be rather different from Abersoch and that priority will need to be given now to sorting accommodation. It would be useful to know whether the organisers have made any approaches or have links that might help here.

In terms of enthusing the crew, it would also be good to know well in advance the proposed format for the event. From our perspective the windward leeward format with several races a day worked very well last year though I have no idea how that fits in with the organisation of Cowes week.

Time passes quickly and plans need to be made so essentially what I am asking is for as much information as possible about the event as soon as possible.

This post would be better in the Events section but do not have the authority to start a new thread there.

Cheers

Dan

Stuart Brand

Re: Class Championship 2015

Post by Stuart Brand » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:07 pm

Ephesian is likely to be there too.. So that would make at least two of us!

i don't think that Cowes Week is quite as busy as it once was, but you're right, you do have think about accommodation early. From memory there are some useful links on the Cowes Week website for agencies that can help. It can be expensive, although again maybe not as bad as in the past. Camping or B&B's out of town are an option but you'd need transport. Things will be cheaper in East Cowes but you are further from the action.

The class association normally prebooks some berths on a mid-river pontoon at a reasonable cost, so berthing should be ok.

In terms of racing, normal Cowes Week is a mixture of comittee boat starts and starts on the Royal Yacht Squadron start line. Usually one race per day (there are seven days racing.. Or even 8 if you stay on for the second Saturday) and they can be quite long races, and generally they are round-the-cans format.

If you haven't done Cowes before I'd definitely recommend it!

Kuba

Post by Kuba » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:07 pm

Ladies and Gents

Polished Manx will be there. We learnt a lesson from previous years and will have full crew :)

It would be great to have someone local with sound knowledge of all the buoys. Allegedly I am the Professional Navigator :oops: and .... we went twice to the wrong buoys. Not much once it was 75 yards and once it was good 200 :)

And n-times we were not sure whether we were heading in the right direction as different classes have slightly different courses and there are 200 buoys in Solent.

All great fun :D

I wonder whether we will have more than 20 SIGMAS this year. If we did that would mean that once again we are the KINGS of the jungle.

Let's make it happen guys. There are some boats from as afar as Belgium and Scotland planning on coming. Can you afford not to be there :mrgreen:

ps. This time the whole pontoon will sink at Sigma Pontoon party
Brgds
Kuba

Polished Manx - IOM 8666

Stuart Brand

Post by Stuart Brand » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:09 pm

The Solent Cruising and Racing Association publishes a list of racing marks in the Solent each year, and they also make it available as a set of waypoints that you can download and import to most GPS/Chartplotters...

2014 version is here:

http://www.scra.org.uk/web/code/php/mai ... tion=marks

Kuba

Post by Kuba » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:45 pm

Thanks Stuart

Problem is "on the water" recognition. You know how it is. Race course consisting of 10+ marks announced 10 min before the race. How can I pick them on my GPS in 5 minutes on the start line consisting of 35-40 bats. (2-3 classes start)

Not very practical on Sigma 33, which has chart plotter in the cockpit. It may work on bigger boats where navigator can seat down below and try to update a passage plan.

Having said that - this year we will definitely try to attempt doing that.
Brgds
Kuba

Polished Manx - IOM 8666

David Crawforth

Post by David Crawforth » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:55 am

Kuba,
You can't do them all before the start, especially as all crew will be needed on deck at that time. Just work out the course to the first mark and roughly where the second one is, then once you have started (and climbed through the boat above you!) look at the rest of the course.
Now you will be trying to persuade me to do this at the Boat Show!...

Kuba

Post by Kuba » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:02 am

Fellow Sigmas

We have registered. There are six Sigmas registered now :)

Here is the link to the Entry Form:

https://secure.ngresults.co.uk/web/code ... =entryform

1. Excel
2. Polished Manx
3. Prospero of Humble
4. Shadowfax
5. Stan the Boat
6. Workout

Are already in.

I would like to suggest something - and please don't keel the messenger:

There will be a number of boats from Scotland, Wales, Ireland, East Coast of UK, Holland, Greece and Canada (if I have missed someone - sorry :oops: ) who will not be delivered to Cowes.

But there will be also some boats from Cowes who will struggle for crew. So how about you get in touch with me and we try to get crews from those boats who cannot be delivered to sail Local Sigmas, especially those who would struggle for crews.

What do you think?
Brgds
Kuba

Polished Manx - IOM 8666

Kggkgg

Post by Kggkgg » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:02 pm

Hi all,

last year was our first at Cowes Week and it seemed pretty darn busy on and off the water but great fun.

It was challenging getting into the swing of the racing and we missed the first start due to going to the wrong start line (there are at least two running in parallel). you definitely need a 'Buoy Racer' plastic chart which shows where all the solent racing marks are big and bold and you can also use a china graph pencil to draw your course when its announced. this can then be used in the cockpit. Get 'Buoy Racer' from any Solent chandler costs about a tenner. The course also gets sent out by SMS to the registered mobile phone on board. Dont rely totally on this as once or twice it didnt happen but normally we got it as it was announced. A useful cross check. Overall we never had a problem getting the course down and as David says so long as you can grab the first two marks and bearing you can get on your way whilst the navigator works out the rest. Finding the right start line one day one was our only major course issue.

Accomodation needs to be booked NOW in IMHO anyway. We stayed in a great little crew house called 'Crew's Nest' (look it up on Google). Very well presented and slept our crew but was at the lower end of the price range due to being compact. It was very convenient and well run.

I can't do Cowes this year due to my core crew declaring them unavailable due to doing the Fastnet and all the qualifiers etc so we have arranged a different race programme for Sibilation taking in JOG races and Dartmouth regatta and a few others. Sorry we cant join you.

Kuba tells me that there are lots of northern Sigma sailors wanting to come down but not bring boats. If this is the case I may consider chartering out Sibilation informally. Let me know if anyone is interested.

enjoy Cowes.

Keith

toby gorman

Post by toby gorman » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:58 am

Dear all
Jeff Warboys, Jo Chugg and I visited Cowes last Friday to evaluate the suitability of UKSA as a base for the 2015 Class Championship. UKSA is a sailing charity and run a series of sailing courses from a base up the Medina river, 15 minutes walk from town.
Jeff, Jo and I were very impressed with the facilities UKSA had to offer. The mooring arrngements would accomodate upto 20 Sigmas are walk ashore, have water and electricity. There is a bar, catering facilities (dining room), formal room for our AGM, BBQ facilities and accomodaton. so we think the shoreside facilities will make the event very special

Cowes Combined Clubs are promising to make the event more bespoke given the nature of the event (2 races on one day, a longer passage race etc) but we need a minimum of 12 boats to commit and make this possible...so can i urge you all to enter asap?

I will send further details, costings shortly...

Thanks
Toby Gorman
Solent Class Captain

danlewis

Post by danlewis » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:37 pm

Partisan has entered